Hays County Pro Bono Divorce Clinic CLOSED

If the clinic begins to operate again in the future, additional information will be posted here.

A special thanks to all the attorneys who volunteered their time to make the four years of the clinic a huge success!
The Hays County Pro Bono Divorce Clinic provides volunteer attorneys who have agreed to handle uncontested divorces for people who cannot afford an attorney. The Hays County Bar Association and Texas RioGrande Legal Aid have joined together to provide this service. Legal Aid will walk you through the intake process.  Once you return your paper work to them, they will let you know where to go to meet with your attorney at the clinic.  The clinics take place at the Government Center in San Marcos.

In order to file for divorce here, you have to have lived in Hays County for the last 90 days and Texas for the last 6 months.  There are additional restrictions to qualify for the clinic.

How can I qualify for this service?

There are income restrictions based on the number of people living in your home for which you provide support.  The intake person will go over this with you when you call.


Also, you will most likely qualify if . . . But, you must . . .
You have been separated for at least 6 months
You have children Have agreed with the other party on child support and custody or already have Attorney General Orders in place
Your spouse is to have supervised visitation Already have a custody order in place
Your petition for divorce has already been filed


You may qualify if . . . But only if . . .
There is past domestic violence It was more than one year ago
There is recent domestic violence There are protective orders in place
There is property involved (cars, homes, mobile homes, etc.) You and your spouse agree on how to divide the property, and no additional legal documents are required to be prepared


You Will Not Qualify If . . . Exceptions . . .
CPS has become involved
There are pensions or retirement benefits available to either spouse
You or your spouse is looking for financial support because either of you is disabled or quit your job to raise your children.
You or your spouse are involved in a pending bankruptcy The bankruptcy has already been finalized


Whom should I contact if I think I may qualify?

Lori Lynelle Gosnell, Hays County Bar Association Pro Bono Coordinator

Gosnell Law Firm

Phone (877) 765-4290 ext. 3


Texas RioGrande Legal Aid at (888) 988-9996

What should I do if my divorce is contested and I cannot afford an attorney?

  1. If you have some income, you can contact the Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas and ask for the Match Program.  They may be able to match you with an attorney for $75 per hour.  Contact them at (866) 303-8303.
  1. Call the State Bar Lawyer Referral Information Service at (800) 252-9690 or (877) 983-9227.  Their hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  They have phone service in Spanish.  They can refer you to additional resources or attorneys in your area.
  1. If there is domestic violence, you can contact the Hays Caldwell Women’s center at (512) 396-4357.  This is their 24-hour HELPline.  DO NOT FILE a petition for divorce before you get protective orders in place.
  1. If you need child support or custody orders, the Attorney General Child Support Enforcement can help you.  Contact them at (512) 460-6000 or visit their website at www.oag.state.tx.us/cs.
  1. You can contact Texas RioGrande Legal Aid at (888) 988-9996.
  1. You can see the TexasLawHelp.org Legal Aid Directory for Hays County.  For further assistance, see the Law Librarian in the Hays County Law Library, on the 2nd floor at the Hays County Government Center.

Comments are closed.